Skip to Content
- Recent advances in energy recovery from wastewater sludge, Laleh Nazari, Siva Sarathy, Domenico Santoro, Dang Ho, Madhumita B. Ray, Chunbao (Charles) Xu, Chapter 5 in Direct Thermochemical Liquefaction of Biomass for energy applications, Edited by Ilhami Yildiz, Elsevier. In Press, 2017.
- Micropollutants in wastewater: fate and removal processes in Wastewater Treatment and Resource Recovery, Sreejon Das, Nillohit Mitra Ray, Jing Wan, Adnan Khan, Tulip Chakraborty, Madhumita B. Ray, Chapter 5, page 75-107, ISBN 978-953-51-4933-0, Edited by Robina Farooq, InTech Open Access, 2017.
- Numerical Simulation of Pneumatic and Cyclonic Dryers Using Computational Fluid Dynamics, Mass Transfer in Chemical Engineering Processes, Tarek J. Jamaleddine and Madhumita B. Ray (2011). Jozef Markoš (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-619-5, InTech, Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/numerical-simulation-of-pneumatic-and-cyclonic-dryers-using-computational-fluid-dynamics
- Advanced Oxidation Processes, Advanced Physicochemical Treatment Processes, Madhumita B. Ray, J. Paul Chen, Lawrence K. Wang, Simo Olavi Pehkonen, Handbook of Environmental Engineering, 2006, Volume 4, 459-478, Edited by Lawrence K. Wang, Yung-Tse Hung and Nazih K. Shammas, Humana Press, Inc. NJ, USA.
- Applications of a Multi-objective Genetic Algorithm in Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Madhumita B. Ray in Applications of Multi-Objective Evolutionary Algorithms-Edited by Carlos A. Coello Coello and Gary B. Lamont, 2004, Chapter 14, pp 317-338, World Scientific.
- Modeling the Fate of Chlorinated Dioxin Releases in Aquatic Environments, Mitchell T. Berg, Madhumita B. Ray, B. Reed- 478-486, Hazardous and Industrial Waste, 1999, Edited By Allen P. Davis.
International Referred Journal Publications (in Print)
- Effect of COD/N Ratio on Denitrification from Nitrite, A Badia, M. Kim, G. Nakhla1, M. Ray-submitted to Water Environment Research, Oct, 2017.
- Simple and green route for preparation of tin phosphate catalysts by solid-state grinding for dehydration of glucose to 5-hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF), K.T. V. Rao, S. Souzanchi, Z.Yuan, M.B. Ray, C. Xu- accepted in RSC Advances 7, 48501-48511, 2017.
- Carbon and phosphorous removal from primary municipal wastewater sludge using recovered aluminium, T. Chakraborty, M. Gabriel, A. S Amiri, D Santoro, J Walton, S. Smith, M. B. Ray, G. Nakhla- Environmental Science and Technology, 51(21), 12302–12309, 2017.
- Uptake and phytotoxic effect of benzalkonium chlorides in Lepidium sativum and Lactuca sativa, A. H. Khan, M. Libby, D. Winnick, J. Palmer, M Sumarah, M. B. Ray, S. M. Macfie. J of Environmental Management, 206, 490-497, 2018.
- Co-Conversion of Waste Activated Sludge and Sawdust through Hydrothermal Liquefaction: Optimization of Reaction Parameters Using Response Surface Methodology, L. Nazari, Z.Yuan, M. B Ray, C. Xu- Applied Energy, 203, 1–10, 2017.
- Toxicity reduction and improved biodegradability of benzalkonium chlorides by ozone/hydrogen peroxide advanced oxidation process, Adnan Hossain Khan, Junwoo Kim, Mark Sumarah, Sheila M. Macfie, Madhumita B. Ray, In Press, Separation and Purification Technology, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1383586617304653, 185, 72-82, 2017.
- Low-Temperature Thermal Pre-Treatment of Municipal Wastewater Sludge: Process Optimization and Effects on Solubilization and Anaerobic Degradation, Laleh Nazari; Zhongshun Yuan; Domenico Santoro, Siva Sarathy, Dang Ho, Damien Batstone, Chunbao (Charles) Xu, Madhumita B Ray, Water Research, 113 111-123. doi:10.1016/j.watres.2016.11.055.
- Sorption and Leaching of Benzalkonium Chlorides in Agricultural Soils, Adnan H Khan, Mark Sumarah, Sheila M. Macfie, Madhumita B. Ray, Environmental Management, Journal of Environmental Management, 196, 26–35, 2017.
- Development of microalgal bioassay based on the community level physiological profiling (CLPP)” by Jun-Woo Kim, Lars Rehmann, and Madhumita B. Ray, Algal Research, Vol 25, 47-53, 2017.
- Surface Amination of Activated Carbon and Petroleum Coke for the Removal of Naphthenic Acids and Treatment of Oil Sands Process Water (OSPW), Hojatallah Seyedy Niasar, Hanning Li, Tirumala Venkateswara Rao Kasanneni, B. Ray, C. Xu, Chemical Engineering Journal, Volume 293, 2016, 189–199.
- Copper Ion Removal by Acer saccharum Leaves in a Regenerable Continuous-flow Column, Shahram Amirnia, B. Ray, and A. Margaritis, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2016, 287, 755-764.
- Hydrothermal Liquefaction of Woody Biomass in Hot-compressed Water: Catalyst Screening and Comprehensive Characterization of Bio-crude Oils, Laleh Nazari, Zhongshun Yuan, Sadra Souzanchi, B Ray, Chunbao (Charles) Xu, Fuel, Volume 162, Pages 74–83, 2015.
- Adsorption of Model Naphthenic Acids in Water with Granular Activated Carbon, Alfredo Martinez-Iglesias, Hojatallah Seyedy Niasar, Chunbao (Charles) Xu, B. Ray, Adsorption Science & Technology, 33 (10) 881-893, 2015.
- Biodegradation of benzalkonium chlorides singly and in mixtures by a Pseudomonas sp. isolated from returned activated sludge, Adnan Hossain Khan, Edward Topp, Andrew Scott, Mark Sumarah, Sheila M. Macfie, B. Ray, J of Hazardous Materials, 2015, 299, 595–602.
- Removal of Heavy Metals from Aqueous Solutions Using Unmodified Saccharomyces cerevisiae in an On-line Continuous Bioreactor-Biosorption System, Shahram Amirnia, Madhumita B. Ray, Argyrios Margaritis- Chemical Engineering Journal,264, 863-872, 2015, .http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S138589471401626X
- Similitude in an Open Channel UV Wastewater Disinfection Reactor, Rajib Saha, Chao Zhang, and Madhumita B. Ray, DOI:1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0000902, September 2014, J of Environmental Engineering, ASCE.
- CFD Simulation and Parametric Study of an Open Channel UVWastewater Disinfection Reactor, August 2014, accepted, Water Quality Research Journal of Canada.
- Anaerobic Digestibility of Estrogens in Wastewater Sludge: Effect of Ultrasonic Pretreatment, Charu Chawla, Shubhajit Sarkar, Sura Ali, Lars Rehmann, George Nakhla and Madhumita B Ray, Journal of Environmental Management, 145, 307-313, 20
- Estrone Degradation in Water and Wastewater, Shubhajit Sarkar, Sura Ali, Lars Rehmann, George Nakhla and Madhumita B. Ray, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 278, 16–24, 2014
International Refereed Journal Publications –under submission
- Bismuth Titanate Nanowires for Photocatalytic Hydrogen Production, Qasem Alsharari, Paul A. Charpentier, B. Ray, submitted to International Journal of Hydrogen Energy.
- Supercritical Fluid Extraction of Caffeine from Pyrolyzed Coffee Ground Bio-oil, Osariemen Ogbeide, B. Ray, Paul Charpentier submitted to Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research.
Conference Papers (Peer Reviewed)
- Photocatalytic Oxidation of Paracetamol in Water, L. Yang, L.E. Yu, and Madhumita B. Ray, The Second IASTED International Conference on Water Resources Management, WRM 2007, August 20-22, 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- TiO2 Mediated Inactivation of Bioaerosols, A. Pal, L. Yu and Madhumita B. Ray, 1st international conference on Green Processing Engineering, GPE 2007, 24 - 26 April 2007, Toulouse – France.
- Yu Ling Shi and Madhumita B. Ray., “Effect of Large Temperature Differences and Cross-flow on Local Nusselt Number under Turbulent Slot Impingement Jet, p 203-212, Topics in Heat &Mass Transfer, IWSID, 20-23 December, 2004, Mumbai, India.
- A Parametric Study of Impingement Heat Transfer under a Slot jet using CFD, Shi Yuling, Madhumita B. Ray and A.S. Mujumdar, Penang, Malaysia, August 2002 (proceedings in CD Rom).
- Multiobjective optimisation of Industrial Gas Cleaning Devices, G. Ravi, S. K. Gupta and Madhumita B. Ray Proceedings of the Indian Chemical Engineering Congress, Vol. II, p IT 25-28, December, 2000, Calcutta, India
- Lab Scale Characterization of Soil-Vapor Extraction Process, Soh Tze Kwang, R. Stanforth and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of the Indian Chemical Engineering Congress, Vol. II, p SH 51-54, December, 2000, Calcutta, India.
- A Simple Method to Increase the Efficiency of Reverse Flow Cyclone, Liu Qi and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of 8th APCChE Congress, Vol. III, p 1679-1682, 17-19 August, 1999, Seoul, South Korea.
- Prediction of Particle Separation in Gas-Solid Separators Using CFD, Wennan Zhao and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of 8th APCChE Congress, Vol. II, p 1065-1068, 17-19 August, 1999, Seoul, South Korea.
- Application of Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) to Remove Organic Pollutants in the Gas Phase, Ji Hong Wang and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of 8th APCChE Congress, Vol.II, p 857-860, 17-19 August, 1999, Seoul, South Korea.
- Performance Characterization of a Novel Gas-Solid Separator by Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Zhao Wennan, A.S. Mujumdar, and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of World Engineering Congress, p 153-158, 19-21 July, 1999, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Comparison of Costs of Different Processes for Control of Volatile Organic Compounds, Cheng Kok Leong and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of World Engineering Congress, p 431-435, 19-21 July, 1999, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Scaling-Up of A Photoreactor for Treatment of Gas-Phase Effluent in A Closed-Loop Air Stripping Process, Cheng Kok Leong and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of World Engineering Congress, p 421-425, 19-21 July, 1999, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- On the Shape of Grade Efficiency Curves Computed for Centrifugal Dedusters by CFD with Lagrangian Particle Tracking, Alex C. Hoffmann, A. Berrino and Madhumita B. Ray, Advanced Technologies for Particle Processing, Volume II, p 63-69, Proceedings of topical conference on particle-particle interaction, at AIChE annual meeting, 15-20 November, 1998, Miami Beach, Florida, USA.
- Application of Post-Cyclone to Reduce the Emission of Reverse Flow Cyclone, Y. M. Jo and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of the 2nd Asia Pacific Conference on Sustainable Energy and Environmental Technology, 14-17 June, Gold Coast, Australia, p 155-160, 1998.
- Dust Collection by Post-Cyclone (PoC) to Reduce the Emission of Reverse flow Cyclone, Y. M. Jo and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of the Environmental Strategies for the 21st Century, 8-10 April, Singapore, p 521-526, 1998.
- Numerical Simulation of Swirl Flow in Cyclone Separator with an Auxiliary Device, K. R. Venkata and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of the Environmental Strategies for the 21st Century, 8-10 April, Singapore, p293-298, 1998.
- Comparison of Different Analytical Methods in Predicting the Efficiency of Gas-Solid Separators, A. C. Hoffmann, R. Postma, A. Plomp and Madhumita B. Ray, Proceedings of PARTEC, 4th European Symposium for Separation of Particles from Gases, Nurnberg, Germany, 10-12 March, p 35-44, 1998.
- Numerical Simulations of the Swirl Flow Pattern and Collection Efficiencies in Gas-Solid Separators, Madhumita B. Ray, C. Tien, A.C. Hoffmann, and M. I. L Beumer, Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Conference on Sustainable Energy and Environmental Technology, Singapore, p290-297, 1996.
- Modelling the Fate of Chlorinated Dioxin Releases into Aquatic Environments, M. T. Berg, Madhumita Bhowmick and B. E. Reed, Proceedings of 25th Mid-Atlantic Hazardous Waste Conference, Baltimore, USA, July, p 478- 487, 1993.
- A Novel Closed Loop Air Stripping Process, Madhumita Bhowmick and M. J. Semmens, Proceedings of 25th Mid-Atlantic Hazardous Waste Conference, Baltimore, USA, July, p 136-145, 1993.
- Removal of algal matter by coagulation both in presence and absence of pre-oxidation, Z. Zhao, H. Gomaa and M. B. Ray, AIChE Conference, October 29-Nov 3, Minneapolis, MN, USA. 2017.
- Recovery and reuse of aluminum in municipal wastewater, Chakraborty, M. Gabriel, A. S Amiri, D Santoro, J Walton, S. Smith, G. Nakhla, M. B. Ray, October 29-Nov 3, Minneapolis, MN, USA, 2017.
- Phytotoxicity of benzalkonium chlorides (BACs), AH Khan, Winnick, D., Libby M., Sumara M., Macfie , Ray M.B Canadian Society of Plant Biologists (Burlington, Nov 18-19), 2016.
- Distribution of Micropollutants in Wastewater for Recycled Aluminum and Ferric Coagulants Chakraborty T., Balusani D., Nakhla G., Ray M.B, 67 Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, 22-25 October, 2017.
- Coagulation Performance for the Removal of Six Algae and Algal Organic Matter for Drinking Water Treatment, Zhao Z.M., Gomaa H., Ray M.B, 67 Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, 22-25 October, 2017.
- Formation potential of disinfection by-products after coagulation of algal matters, Hu, Xian, Chen T., Zhao, Z, and Madhumita Ray, 66 th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference, October 16-19, 2016, Quebec City, QC, Canada.
- Plant uptake of benzalkonium chlorides in a hydroponic study, AH Khan, Winnick, D., Libby M., Sumara M., Macfie SM., Ray M.B., 66 th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference, October 16-19, 2016, Quebec City, QC, Canada.
- Development of treatment train based on green technologies for removal and recovery of naphthenic acids from oil sand process affected wastewater, Madhumita Ray, Hojatallah Seyedy Niasar Jing Wan, Sreejon Das, Chunbao Xu, 5th International Congress on Green Process Engineering (GPE 2016), 19-24 June, Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada.
- Extraction of Algae Oil in Supercritical CO2 using a Soybean Surfactant, Osariemen (Remy) Ogbeide, Madhumita Ray and Paul Charpentier, 5th International Congress on Green Process Engineering (GPE 2016), 19-24 June, Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada.
- Advanced Oxidation Pre-Treatment of Benzalkonium Chlorides Prior to Biological Treatment, Adnan Hossain Khan, Jing Wan, Mark Sumarah, Sheila M. Macfie, Madhumita B. Ray, AIChE annual meeting, 8-13 November, Salt Lake City, UT, 2015.
- KOH catalyzed co-liquefaction of waste activated sludge and other waste materials in hot compressed water: Effect of feedstock types and process optimization, Laleh Nazari, M. B. Ray, and C. Xu, CSChE Conference, Calgary, October 4-7, 2015.
- Optimization studies on co-liquefaction of waste activated sludge and woody biomass in hot compressed water catalyzed by KOH, Laleh Nazari, M. B. Ray, and C. Xu, Advanced Biofuel Symposium, Montreal, 22-24 July 2015.
- Adsorption of Naphthenic Acids on Commercial Activated Carbon- A. Martinez, H.Niasar, B. Ray, C. Xu, 64 CSChE conference, Niagara Falls-19-22 October, 2014.
- Study of Process Variables for the Extraction of Caffeine from Coffee Ground Bio-Oil using Supercritical Carbondioxide- O. Ogbeide, B. Ray, P. Charpentier, 64 CSChE conference, Niagara Falls- 19-22 October, 2014.
- Study of Activated and Functionalized Petroleum Coke as an Adsorbent for Removal of Naphthenic Acids (NAs) from Synthetic Oil Sands Process Water- H.t S Niasar, A. Martinez, B. Ray, C.Xu, 64 CSChE conference, Niagara Falls- 19-22 October, 2014.