Hugo de Lasa
B. Chem. Eng. (Univ. Nacional del Sur, Argentina) 1968
Dr. Ing. (Nancy, France) 1971
Dr. de LASA is a professor at the Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering of the University of Western Ontario. He graduated in 1968 with a Bachelor in Chemical Engineering from the Universidad Nacional del Sur in Argentina and in 1971 with a “Cum Laude” Doctoral degree from the Université de Nancy in France. Prof. de Lasa is the author of 380-peer reviewed publications, 6 books, and 12 U.S. and Canadian patents. He is an innovative teacher who has been actively involved in the training of graduate students with the successful supervision of 52 PhD and 40 MESc theses. He is the founding director of the University of Western Ontario’s Chemical Reactor Engineering Centre (CREC). Since its inception in 1987, CREC has received significant financial support and has been collaborating with a diversity of industries and governmental agencies from about 25 countries.
Awards and Distinctions
- • Research Excellence Prize from the Faculty of Engineering Science of the University of Western Ontario (1998).
- • Fellow of the Chemical Institute of Canada (2000).
- • Medal of Research and Development from the Professional Engineers of Ontario (2000).
- • Award in Industrial Practice from the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (2001).
- • S. Jane Lecture Award. Highest Distinction from the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (2004).
- • Doctoral Honoris Causa in Chemical Engineering from the Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas, Mexico (2004).
- • Honorary Citizen of Zacatecas. Award presented by the Governor of Zacatecas State on May 12, 2005.
- • Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering (2005).
- • Festschrift Issue in Hugo de Lasa’s honour. Industrial Engineering and Chemistry Journal, American Chemical Society, Vol. 49, Issue 15 (2010).
- • Hugo de Lasa Chemical Reaction Engineering Special Sessions. Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering Conference, London, Ontario, October 2011.
- • Honorary Member of the Energy Academy of Mexico (2017).
- • Doctoral Honoris Causa in Chemical Engineering from the Universidad Nacional de La Patagonia San Juan Bosco, Argentina, (2018).
- • Special Sessions to honor Hugo de Lasa. Canadian Society Chemical Engineering Conference, Halifax, 2019.
- • Hugo de Lasa Commemorative Issue. Catalysts Journal, MDPI Publisher Vol 10, (2020).