PhD - Geotechnical Engineering, University of Wales, United Kingdom (1991)
BSc - Civil and Structural Engineering, University of Wales, United Kingdom (1988)
My Research Group
- Soft soil and clay engineering (including soil improvement)
- Offshore and energy geotechnics
- Buried structures and foundations
- Geotechnical phsycial modelling (1g & centrifuge)
- Static and dynamic laboratory testing of soil
- Constitutive (stress/strain) modelling of soils and structures
- Numerical modelling (finite element, finite difference, discrete element methods)
- Consultancy for the offshore, civil engineering and mining industries.
- Chair of Sustainable Geotechnics Committee, Canadian Geotechnical Society, 2015-current.
- Core Member - ISSMGE TC307 (Sustainability in Geotechnical Engineering), 2015-current.
- Core Member - ISSMGE TC38 (Soil-structure Interaction) 2005-2010.
- Technical Chair, ISSMGE PanAmerican Conference on Geotechnical Engineering, Toronto, 2011.
- International Panel Member (Canada) for the ICE Geotechnical Proceedings Journal, 2000-2010.
- Chair, Soil Mechanics & Foundations Division, Canadian Geotechnical Society, 2005-2009.
- EPSRC Review College Member, 2000-2005.
- SUT - Offshore Site Investigation and Geotechnics Committee Member
Current Research Funding
NSERC Engage Grant
Reuse of shallow foundations for wind turbine farms
CFI Innovation Fund
Enhancing the resilience and sustainability of critical geotechnical infrastructure
T. Newson, et al.
NSERC Discovery Grant
Soil-structure interaction under environmentally induced cyclic loading