PhD - Civil Engineering, The University of Western Ontario (1993)
MEng - Civil Engineering, Carleton University (1989)
BSc - Physics, Beijing Science and Technology (1982)
My Research Group
Awards & Distinctions
- 2008 - Twekesbury Fellowship, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- 2007 - Certificate of Appreciation for Contributions to the Fourth Edition of the Canadian Foundation Engineering Manual. Canadian Geotechnical Society.
- 2003 - Gledden Senior Visiting Fellowship, University of Western Australia.
- 2000 - Canadian Geotechnical Colloquium Speaker, "Electrokinetics in Geotechnical and Environmental Engineering Applications."
- 1995-2000 - Women's Faculty Award, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada.
- 1995 - Keefer Medal for paper "Electrical strengthening of clays by dielectrophoresis", by K.Y. Lo, J.Q. Shang and I.I. Inculet. Canadian Society for Civil Engineering.
- 1994 - Student Paper Competition Award. 42nd Annual Geotechnical Engineering Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
- 1993 - Graduate Research Fellowship, The University of Western Ontario.
- 1987-1988 - International Student Graduate Scholarship, Carleton University.
Other Scholarly and Professional Activities
- P.Eng. Registration - PEO, since November 1994
- Member, Canadian Geotechnical Society.
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Member, International Society of Polar and Offshore Engineering, since 1996
- Member, American Electrophoresis Society, since 2008
- Member, Canadian Association on Water Quality, 2008
- Associate Editor, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 1995 – 2001.
- Editorial Board Member, Geomechanics and Engineering (GAE), an International Journal of Computational and theoretical Geomechnics, Foundation Engineering , Engineering Applications, Site Characterization, since 2008.
- Editorial Board Member, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 1994 - 2006.
- Member, AFS90, Committee on Chemical and Mechanical Stabilization, Transportation Research Board, the National Academies, USA, 2001 - 2006.
- Member, AFS80, Committee on Cementitious Stabilization, Transportation Research Board, the National Academies, USA, 2003 - 2006.
- Ontario Confederation of University Faculty Association, Women’s Status Committee, member, 2001-2004
- Reviewer of technical journals:
- Canadian Geotechnical Journal
- Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering,
- Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE
- Journal of Geotechnical Testing, ASTM
- Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science
- International Journal of Geotextiles and Geomembranes
- Journal of Hazardous Materials
- Colloids and Surfaces
- Engineering Geology
- Journal of the Transportation Research Board
- International Journal of Pavement Engineering
- Water Resources Research
- Separation and Purification Technology
- International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering
- Environmental Science and Technology
- Environmental Pollution
- Geomechanics and Geoengineering
- International Journal of Polar and Offshore Engineering
- Applied clay mineralogy
- Geomechanics and Geoengineering
- Organizing committee and session chair, ISOPE, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Technical committee and session chair, IACGE, Chengdu 2013
- Reviewer of research grant applications and judge of award competitions
- US NSF Research Grant
- NSERC Research Grant
- NSERC Strategic Grant
- Australian Research Council, Large Research Grant
- Hong Kong Research Grants Council
- Canadian Geotechnical Society student paper competition
- South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF)
- OCE proposas
- Associate graduate chair, 2014 - 2016