Dr. Eng. Civil Engineering (Structures), National Autonomous University of Mexico (1988)
M. Eng. Civil Engineering (Structures), National Autonomous University of Mexico (1984)
B. Eng. Civil Engineering, National Autonomous University of Mexico (1984)
Awards & Distinctions
- Canadian Society for Civil Engineering: Honourable Mention for Thomas C. Keefer Medal for the paper “Probabilistic assessment of pavement conditions” by H. P. Hong and S. Somo, 2002.
- Outstanding achievement award for innovation in product development and marketing, Centre for Frontier Engineering Research, Edmonton, Alberta, 1994.
- Weizmann Prize, The Best Doctoral Thesis from 1986 to 1988 in Mexico.
- Gabino Barreda Medal, National Autonomous University of Mexico (Graduate study), 1988.
- Gabino Barreda Medal, National Autonomous University of Mexico(Undergraduate study), 1984.
- Top Student Award, Faculty of Engineering, National Autonomous University of Mexico, 1984.
- Scholarship, State Education Commission of the People's Republic of China, 1979-1984.
- Member, Editorial Board of Structural Safety (2008-)
- Member, International Scientific Committee, International Workshop on Reliability Engineering and Risk Management (IWRERM’08, 2008)
- Member, Civil Engineering Grant Selection Committee (GSC 06), Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) (2006-2009)
- Member, Design and Construction of Building Components with Fibre Reinforced Polymers, CSA S806, (2008-) (non voting member)
- Member, Canadian Standards Association Task Force to revise CSA-S408-81 “Guidelines for the Development of Limit States Design” Canadian Standard Association (2006-)
- Member, Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code Calibration Task Force, Canadian Standard Association (2005-)
- Member, Task group for developing seismic considerations for dam safety guideline (Canadian Dam Association) (2004-)
- Member, Professional Engineers of Ontario (Registered Professional Engineer).
- Member, Canadian Society of Civil Engineering.
- Member, Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta (Registered Professional Engineer) (1994-2004).
- Member, Institute of Risk Research, University of Waterloo.