PhD - Civil Engineering, University of Alberta (1994)
MSc - Civil Engineering, Waterloo University (1982)
BSc - Civil Engineering, Queen's University (1979)
My Research Group
- Registered Professional Engineer in Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia and Yukon.
- Registered Engineer-in-Training, State of Washington.
- Co-Editor, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, July 2010-present.
- Associate Editor, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, January 2004–June 2010 (2003 - 1 manuscript, 2004 - 14 ms, 2005 - 16 ms, 2006 - 18 ms, 2007 - 17 ms, 2008 - 12 ms, 2009 - 13 ms, 2010 - 11 ms).
- Member, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, American Concrete Institute, Association for Preservation Technology, Canadian Institute of Steel Construction, International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering.
- Chair, Technical Subcommittee 15 (“Rehabilitation and Repair”) of the CHBDC, 2003–2013.
- Chair, Calibration Task Force of the CHBDC, 2013-present.
- Member, Technical Committee of the CHBDC, 2003–present.
- Member, Technical Subcommittee 13 (“Bridge Evaluation and Rehabilitation”) of the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code, 1992-2000 and 2003-present.
- Member, Calibration Task Force of the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code, 1996-2000 and 2003-2005.
- Member, Canadian Standards Association Committee on Reinforced Concrete Design, responsible for the A23.3 Standard “Design of Concrete Structures”, 2002–2014 and 2015-present (Associate Member, 1999-2002).
- Member, Canadian Standards Association Task Force to revise CSA-S408-81 “Guidelines for the Development of Limit States Design”, 2006-present.
- Member, American Concrete Institute Committee 318-C “Structural Concrete Building Code – Safety, Serviceability and Analysis” (2014-present, Secretary 2008-2011, Member 2005-2008, Corresponding Member 2003-2005).
- Member, American Concrete Institute Technical Committee 342 “Evaluation of Concrete Bridges and Bridge Elements”, (Chair 1997-2002, Founding Secretary 1994-97) 2002-2010.
- Member, American Concrete Institute Committee 214 “Evaluation of Results of Tests Used to Determine the Strength of Concrete”, 2000 - present, and Member of Core Strength Task Force, 1994-present.
- Member, American Concrete Institute Committee 562 "Evaluation, Repair and Rehabilitation of Concrete Buildings", 2006-present.
- Member, CSCE Honours and Awards Committee, 2007-present.
- Chair, CSCE Structures Division, 2002-2006.
- Chair, Local Organizing Committee, 2016 CSCE Annual Conference, London, Ontario, 2014-present.
- Chair of Technical Committee for 8th Short and Medium Bridge Span Conference, Niagara Falls, 2010.
- Member of Scientific Committee, 37th IABSE Symposium, Madrid, 2014.
- Member of Technical Committee for the 9th Short and Medium Span Bridge Conference, Calgary, 2014.
- Member of Scientific Committee, IABSE Spring Conference "Assessment Upgrading and Refurbishment of Infrastructures," Rotterdam 2013.
- Member of Technical Committee for 7th Short and Medium Bridge Span Conference, Montreal, 2006.
- Member of Scientific Committee for 6th PhD Symposium in Civil Engineering, Zurich, 2006.
- Secretary, Local Organizing Committee, 2000 Canadian Society for Civil Engineering Annual Conference, London, Ontario, 1997-2000.
- Warden, Camp 11 (London, Ontario), the Corporation of the Seven Wardens Inc., 2002-2012.
- Member, Selection Committee for American Concrete Institute Fellowships and Scholarships, 2004-2007.
- Member, Selection Committee for American Concrete Institute Fellowships & Scholarships, 2004-2007.
- Member, Selection Committee for the 1996-97, 1998-99, 2000 and 2002 Donald Jamieson Fellowship.
- Member, Selection Committee for the 2001 P.L. Pratley Award.
- Member, Steel Structures Education Foundation Board of Governors, 1998-2003.
- Member, Frontiers in Education New Faculty Fellow Selection Committee, 1998.
Honours and Awards
- Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (CSCE) P.L. Pratley Award, for "best paper on bridge engineering" (co-author: D.K. Panesar), 2006.
- CSCE P.L. Pratley Award (co-author: C.R. Scollard), 2004 (one of two awarded).
- CSCE Casimir Gzowski Medal, for “best paper on surveying, structural engineering or heavy construction” (co-author: B.J. Schmidt), 2002.
- CSCE P.L. Pratley Award, (co-author: J.P.C. King), 2002.
- Honourable Mention, CSCE P.L. Pratley Award, 2002 (co-author: C.R. Scollard).
- CSCE P.L. Pratley Award, 1998 (co-author: S.D. Leitch).
- Honourable Mention, CSCE P.L. Pratley Award, 1997 (co-authors: J.G. MacGregor, D.J.L. Kennedy, M.A. Maes, D. Chernenko, L. Dunazegi).
- CSCE P.L. Pratley Award, 1992 (co-authors: P.G. Buckland and D.J.L. Kennedy).
- UWO University Student Council Teaching Honour Roll, 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2011-12.
- American Concrete Institute Walter P. Moore Jr. Faculty Achievement Award (1st recipient), 2002.
- UWO Edward G. Pleva Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1999-2000.
- Engineering Science Prize for Outstanding Teaching, 1999.
- Alfred P. Sloan New Faculty Fellow for Frontiers in Education Conference, 1997.
- Fellow of the International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering, elected 2011.
- National Nuclear Security Administration (Nevada) Defense Programs Award of Excellence for "extraordinary effort in the successful conduct of non-destructive testing of the Device Assembly Facility concrete" (co-recipient with 14 other team members), 2008.
- Canadian Institute for Steel Construction Engineering Award of Merit for structural concept, design and implementation of Insurance Research Lab for Better Homes (co-recipients: Hastings & Aziz Ltd., Mycon Construction, ACL Steel Ltd.), 2007.
- Fellow of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, elected 2006.
- Fellow of the American Concrete Institute, elected 2002.
- Faculty of Engineering Award of Recognition (1st recipient), 2001.
- Isaac Walter Killam Memorial Scholarship, 1993-94.
- Andrew Stewart Memorial Graduate Prize, 1992.
- Ralph Steinhauer Award of Distinction (Alberta Heritage Scholarship Fund), 1992-93 and 1991-92.
- Donald Jamieson Fellow of the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, 1991 and 1990.
- ENCON/Canadian Council of Professional Engineers Endowment for Engineers; 1991-92 and 1989-90.
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships, 1990-91 and 1989-90.