Western Engineering Mission Statement
Western Engineering creates, disseminates and applies knowledge for the benefit of society through excellence in teaching, research and scholarship. Our graduates will be global citizens whose education and leadership will serve the public good.
Western University Strategic Planning Documents
- 98 faculty members
- 75 staff members
- 1,600 full-time undergraduate students (total)
- 650 graduate students
- More than 10,000 alumni
- 4 buildings on campus: Spencer Engineering Building, Thompson Engineering Building, Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory, and the Claudette MacKay-Lassonde Pavilion – Western’s first Gold LEED certified facility.
- 3 research facilities offsite: Institute for Chemicals and Fuels from Alternative Resources (ICFAR), Fraunhofer Project Centre for Composites Research (FPC@Western), and Wind Engineering, Energy, and Environment (WindEEE) Research Institute
- Common First Year - providing students with the opportunity to develop a close bond with their first-year classmates and experience various disciplines of engineering before selecting a discipline in second year.
- Nine Engineering Programs - Chemical, Civil, Computer, Electrical, Green Process, Integrated, Mechanical, Mechatronic Systems, and Software Engineering.
- Dual Degrees - Combined degrees (with Western’s other professional programs: the Ivey Business School and Western Law) and concurrent degrees with faculties across campus (i.e., Music, Science, Social Science, Arts & Humanities, etc.).
- Experiential Learning -Engineering Leadership and Innovation Certificate, Global and Intercultural Engagement Honor, International Experiences, Practical Elements of Mechanical Engineering Externship, and Student Clubs, Groups & Teams.
- Optional Internships and Summer Co-op - Internships are 12- or 16-month (consecutive) placements. Co-ops occur during the summer months (May – August). Both options are paid employment.
- Accelerated Master's Program - providing students with the opportunity to earn a Master of Engineering Science (MESc) degree within one year of receiving their Bachelor of Engineering Science (BESc) degree. Students apply in Year 3.
- International Opportunities - Global and Intercultural Engagement Honor, Civil Engineering with International Development, Engineers Without Borders, and international exchanges.
- Student Clubs, Groups and Teams - Western Engineering students offer more than 15 various clubs, groups and teams, plus mentorship and tutor programs.
- Western Engineering is a medium-sized faculty, in comparison to other universities in Ontario, with approximately 500 students in first-year and 1,600 undergraduate students total. Our smaller class sizes allow our faculty members to offer our students more personalized attention and interactions.
- More than 400 engineering students participate in extracurricular activities each year.
- Two Engineering/Ivey students have become Rhodes Scholars in recent years – Joelle Faulkner and Brian Coulter.
- Western University offers the Western Guarantee - including admission scholarships, financial aid, the first-year courses students want, a place to live in residence, and an extraordinary student experience.
Western Engineering provides unique learning experiences including access to state-of-the-art research facilities, research topics that impact real life scenarios, and mentorship by internationally recognized leaders in Engineering. We offer nine graduate programs, from thesis-based to interdisciplinary, and we offer degrees such as MEng, MESc, and PhD.
- Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory
- Chemical Reactor Engineering Centre (CREC)
- Fraunhofer Project Centre for Composites Research (FPC)
- Geotechnical Research Centre
- Institute for Chemicals and Fuels from Alternative Resources (ICFAR)
- Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction (ICLR)
- Innovation Centre for Information Engineering (iCIE)
- International Composite Research Centre (ICLR)
- Particle Technology Research Centre (PTRC)
- WindEEE Research Institute
- Advanced Facility for Avian Research
- Biomedical Imaging Research Centre
- Canadian Surgical Technologies and Advanced Robotics (CSTAR) Research Centre
- Centre for Advanced Materials and Biomaterials Research (CAMBR)
- Lawson Health Research Institute (LHRI)
- Robarts Research Institute (RRI)
- Shared Hierarchical Academic Research Computing Network (SHARCNET)
- Soochow-Western Synchrotron Radiation Research Centre
- Surface Science Western
- Western Nanofabrication Facility
More information on our research groups, clusters and facilities may be found on the departments' research websites:
- Girma Bitsuamlak
Canada Research Chair in Wind Engineering (Tier 2)
- Jason Gerhard
Canada Research Chair in Geoenvironmental Restoration Engineering (Tier 2)
- Elizabeth Gillies
Canada Research Chair in Biomaterials Synthesis (Tier 2)
- Rajni Patel
Canada Research Chair in Advanced Robotics and Control (Tier 1)
- Xueliang (Andy) Sun
Canada Research Chair in the Development of Nanomaterials for Fuel Cell Applications (Tier 2)
- Xianbin Wang
Canada Research Chair in Wireless Communications (Tier 2)
- Jingxu (Jesse) Zhu
Canada Research Chair in Particle Technology and its Applications in the Chemical/Biochemical, Materials, and Pharmaceutical Industry (Tier 1)
Our current international opportunities include:
- In 2008 we were the first school in North America to offer a Green Process Engineering undergraduate program.
- In 2009, we officially opened the Claudette MacKay-Lassonde Pavilion – Western’s first LEED-certified facility.
- For the past four years, Corporate Knights magazine has ranked Western Engineering among the best in the country for integrating sustainability into its curriculum.
- Student Support (36%)
- Chairs and Faculty Leaders (29%)
- Academic and Research Programs (22%)
- Infrastructure (13%)
- Triple the number of undergraduate student scholarships
- Create 100 new endowed chairs
- Build internationally significant research clusters and academic programs
- Enhance student support in leadership and career development
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- Entrance Scholarships
- In-Course Scholarships & Awards
- Global Opportunities Awards
- WESEL Fund
- Endowed Chairs
- NSERC Chairs
- Term Chairs
- Engineering Leadership & Innovation program enhancements