Accelerated Master's Program - MESc
The Accelerated Master of Engineering Science (MESc) program is designed to encourage outstanding and research-motivated students to complete the MESc degree through one extra year of study beyond their BESc program.
This program is offered to current 3rd year Western Engineering students, and in order to be accepted into the Accelerated MESc, an applicant must have at least 78% cumulative average based on 2nd and 3rd years of the undergraduate program. For dual-degree students, the admission average is calculated based on 2nd and 3rd years of the Engineering program.
Applicant must identify a supervisor during 3rd year, and begin his/her research project in supervisor's lab (typically through NSERC USRA or Dean’s Research Award) in the Summer before the beginning of 4th year.During the 4th year of undergraduate program, the student,
- Register in the thesis course (1.0 credit), substituting two 4th year technical electives. The thesis course should be the continuation of the work conducted during the summer before
- Take one graduate level course as a substitute for a 4th year technical elective
- Complete rest of the courses and other requirements for the BESc program
- May take (optional) one graduate course as an overload. To be counted as a credit in the graduate degree
- Maintain a cumulative average of 78% based on 3rd and 4th years of the undergraduate program
- Satisfactory performance in research as determined by the supervisor
- Take two graduate courses (if took the overload graduate course in the 4th year)
- Take three graduate courses (if no overload graduate course in the 4th year)
- Complete research and thesis
|Undergraduate (BESc) Program||Graduate (MESc) Program|
|Summer Term before 4th year||4th Year (Sept-Apr)||Summer Term after 4th year||Subsequent Terms|
Typically Funded through NSERC USRA or Dean's Award
No financial support provided
Fully funded program that covers tuition fee plus a living allowance of at least $13,000 per year
Contact UsGraduate Program
Faculty of Engineering
London, Ontario, Canada
How to Apply and Requirements:
- Interested students must complete an online application for graduate studies (Accelerated Masters program) no later than August 1st prior to beginning their 4th year of study.
- Students who work in the summer prior to beginning their 4th year of study through the summer research program in Engineering (NSERC USRA, Dean’s Award or Summer Research Award) are eligible to apply.
- Students must also register in the appropriate 4th year courses as described in the table above
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents and international students are all eligible to apply
English Language Proficiency Requirements
All applicants whose first language is not English or if an applicant has not completed 2 years of undergraduate or graduate education at an English-speaking institution in a country whose official first language is English, must provide proof of your proficiency in English by successfully completing one of the following English Language Proficiency examinations.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum acceptable score is 86 for the internet version with no individual score below 20. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS). Minimum acceptable score is 6.5 out of 9, with no individual score below 6.
Applicants will have to apply to the Faculty of Engineering separately.Should you have any questions about the application process, please feel free to contact us at Engineering Graduate Office.