Chemical and Biochemical EngineeringWestern Engineering

MEng Program

The MEng Program is offered to students who have a Bachelor's Degree in chemical/biochemical engineering or other related disciplines or an equivalent degree from an accredited university in Canada or elsewhere.  This provides an opportunity for qualified engineers to improve their theoretical and practical skills. The flexibility of the program enables students to be enrolled in courses directly related to their careers in different areas of chemical/biochemical engineering.

The MEng Program offers a course-based degree that may be a combination of course work and a project OR complete course work. The MEng degree may be obtained either on a full-time or part-time basis. The MEng program is typically one year in duration.

Note: MEng students interested in a communications course can take MME 9670 (a Professional Engineering course) in the Summer term and therefore CANNOT be enrolled in Advanced Engineering Commincations (CBE 9100).

MEng: Course Based

MEng: Research Project

Continuous Registration

Students enrolled in the MEng program MUST register in every term from initial registration until all degree requirements are complete. If unable to register, the student may apply for a Leave of Absence.

Please note: approval of a Leave of Absence request is not guaranteed and subject to the approval of the CBE Graduate Chair and the School of Graduate and Postdcotoral Studies. Documentation supporting the request is required and must be submitted to the CBE Graduate Office. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your request to be processed.

All Graduate Students in CBE must maintain a cumulative average of at least 70% calculated each term over all courses taken for credit, with no grade less than 60%. In the case of failing grades given for scholastic offences, only the Vice-Provost (Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies) can withdraw a student.

Applying to Graduate

The University holds regular Convocation ceremonies in the spring (June) and in the fall (October) of each year and an In Absentia convocation in February. Degree completion, for purposes of Convocation, requires the following:

If you are in the final term of your program, you are required to apply to graduate via the Student Centre. Students' application for graduation may only occur during the term in which they intend to complete the requirements of their degree. Applications must be submitted prior to the end of that term to ensure eligibility. To apply, access the Student Centre. Select 'Apply for Graduation' within the My Academics section and follow the instructions to complete the process.

Information regarding the MEng project final report can be found here.

PLEASE NOTE:If you are changing your stream or area of specialization, please complete the Change of Status Form and submit to the department office in TEB 477. 

Additional Information
Additional information about our graduate programs may be obtained from the
Faculty of Graduate Studies website.