MEng Program

The MEng Program is offered to students who have a Bachelor's Degree in chemical/biochemical engineering or other related disciplines or an equivalent degree from an accredited university in Canada or elsewhere.  This provides an opportunity for qualified engineers to improve their theoretical and practical skills. The flexibility of the program enables students to be enrolled in courses directly related to their careers in different areas of chemical/biochemical engineering.

The MEng Program offers a course-based degree that may be a combination of course work and a project OR complete course work. The MEng program is one year (3 terms) in duration, and requires a clear plan for courses each term in order to ensure the program requirements have been met for graduation. Please reach out to the Graduate Coordinator at for guidance in planning your courses.  

Program Structure & Requirements:

MEng in Chemical and Biochemical Engineering

MEng in Engineering in Medicine

Note: MEng students interested in a communications course can take MME 9670 (a Professional Engineering course) in the Summer term and therefore CANNOT be enrolled in Advanced Engineering Commincations (CBE 9100).

MEng: Course Based

  • 10 courses (up to 2 can be taken outside department with both programs' approval)
  • MEng students are allowed to enrol in a maximum of 2 undergraduate courses with department approval 
  • Time to Complete: 3 Terms (1 year)
  • Students can be admitted in Fall (September), Winter (January), or Summer (May)
  • Maximum course enrolment per term: 4 courses (Full-time students)

MEng: Research Project

Available MEng Research Projects

MEng-GDip in Engineering Leadership and Innovation

Faculty of Engineering offers a Combined Master of Engineering (MEng) – Graduate Diploma (GDip) in Engineering Leadership and Innovation. It is a 4-term (16 months) program where students concurrently take courses in both MEng and GDip programs. Students registered in this option must complete the requirements for both MEng and GDip programs. Once completed, students receive MEng degree and Graduate Diploma.

Continuous Registration

Students enrolled in the MEng program MUST register in every term from initial registration until all degree requirements are complete. If unable to register, the student may apply for a Leave of Absence.

Please note: approval of a Leave of Absence request is not guaranteed and subject to the approval of the CBE Graduate Chair and the School of Graduate and Postdcotoral Studies. Documentation supporting the request is required and must be submitted to the CBE Graduate Office. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your request to be processed.

All Graduate Students in CBE must maintain a cumulative average of at least 70% calculated each term over all courses taken for credit, with no grade less than 60%. In the case of failing grades given for scholastic offences, only the Vice-Provost (Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies) can withdraw a student.

Applying to Graduate

The University holds regular Convocation ceremonies in the Spring (June) and in the Fall (October) of each year and an In Absentia convocation in February. Degree completion, for purposes of Convocation, requires the following:

  • Program's submission to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies of grades for all course requirements.
  • Acceptance by the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies of the final submission of the thesis (if applicable).
  • Program's notification to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies indicating degree completion.

If you are in the final term of your program, you are required to apply to graduate via the Student Centre. Students' application for graduation may only occur during the term in which they intend to complete the requirements of their degree. Applications must be submitted prior to the end of that term to ensure eligibility. To apply, access the Student Centre. Select 'Apply for Graduation' within the My Academics section and follow the instructions to complete the process.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are changing your stream or area of specialization, please complete the Change of Status.

Additional Information
Additional information about our graduate programs may be obtained from the
Faculty of Graduate Studies website.