Ph.D., Mechanical and Materials Engineering, University of Western Ontario, 2012
M.E.Sc., Mechanical and Materials Engineering, University of Western Ontario, 2009
B.E.Sc., Mechanical and Materials Engineering, University of Western Ontario, 2008
Dr. DeGroot is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at the Western University. His main research interest is in wastewater modelling, including wastewater-based epidemiology, sewer bioprocesses, activated sludge processes, UV reactors, and microalgae photobioreactors. He is a licensed Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
- Research Scientist at Trojan Technologies, 2014-2015.
- Postdoctoral Fellow at University of Waterloo (in partnership with ANSYS Inc.), 2012-2014.
- Conference Co-Chair for 27th Annual Conference of the CFD Society of Canada, 2019
- Conference Co-Chair for the International Water Association's International Young Water Professionals Conference, 2019
- Treasurer for Canadian Young Water Professionals Chapter, 2019-Present
- Member of International Water Association's CFD Working Group, 2018-Present
- Member of Water Environment Federation Program Committee, 2018-Present
- Member of Board of Directors for Computational Fluid Dynamic Society of Canada, 2017-Present
- Member of International Water Association's Modelling and Integrated Assessment Specialist Group Management Committee, 2016-2018.