Dr. Floryan is currently a Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering. He received an M.Sc degree from the Warsaw Technical University (Poland) in 1974, PhD from Virginia Tech (USA) in 1980, and went through postdoctoral training at the Northwestern University (USA) in 1981. He specializes in fluid mechanics, with analysis and simulations as the primary methodologies. His current interests are focused on the development of flow manipulation strategies with applications across all flow regimes.
Dr. Floryan held visiting appointments at the German Aerospace Research Establishment (DLVR, Gottingen), French Aerospace Research Establishment (ONERA, Toulouse), Japanese National Aerospace Laboratory (NAL, Tokyo), National University of Singapore (Singapore), Beijing Institute of Technology (China), Stuttgart University (Germany), Darmstadt University (Germany), Technion (Israel), City University (Hong Kong), Ohio University (USA), Tokyo Metropolitan University (Japan), University of Canterbury (New Zealand). He is Fellow of the American Physical Society, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering, Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute, Engineering Institute of Canada as well as STA Fellow (Japan), Humboldt Fellow (Germany), Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science Fellow (Japan) and Senior NATO Research Fellow (France). He is recipient of the Humboldt Research Prize in Germany.
Dr. Floryan served as Associate Dean – Academic of the Faculty of Engineering and as Chair of the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering. He is presently serving as President of the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering, President of the CANCAM Central Committee and Canadian representative to the International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, among many others.
- Member of the General Council of the International Association for Computational Mechanics and Canadian representative (2019- present)
- Board Member, Engineering Institute of Canada (2017-present)
- Canadian Science Publishing (Corporate member; 2018-present)
- Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering, President (2018-present), Senior V-ce President (2016-2018).
- Chair, Congress Committee, Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering (2017-2018)
- President, 24th Congress of International Union for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (IUTAM), Montreal 2016.
- Member of IUTAM Executive (2012-2016).
- Member, IUTAM Congress Committee (2016-2020).
- President, CANCAM 2015, London, Ontario, Canada.
- Secretary of the Canadian National Mechanics Committee (IUTAM), Canadian representative for the International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (2006-present).
- Chair of the National Committee of Chairs of Mechanical Engineering, Canada (2012-2014).
- Secretary of the National Committee of Chairs of Mechanical Engineering, Canada (2011-12).
- CANCAM Central Committee, President (2017-present), V-ce President (2015-2017), member (2010-2015).
- Member of the College of Reviewers for the Canada Research Chair Program and the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
- Member of the Organizing Committee for the Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena Symposium (Ottawa, 2011).
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the IUTAM Symposium on “Recent Advances in Moving Boundary Problems in Mechanics”, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2018.
- Member of the Scientific Committee, XVI Pan American Congress of Applied Mechanics, May 19-23, 2018 University of Michigan, USA.
- WindEEE Research Board, UWO (2014-present).
- TSFP Advisory Committee Member (International Symposia on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena, 2011-present).
- External reviewer, heat transfer courses, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, University of Pretoria, South Africa (2016, 2017).
- Symposium on Inertial Microfluidics, co-organizer, ECCOMAS ECFD8, 6th European Conference on Computational Mechanics (ECCM 6), 7th European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics (ECFD 7), June 11-15, 2018, Glasgow, UK.