Mechanical and Materials EngineeringWestern Engineering

Application Documents

k siddiqui solar3

The following is a summary of all required supporting documentation, to be digitally submitted along with an electronic application. The following should be submitted prior to the deadlines stated on our department website. Documents must be saved as a .pdf or .doc file, with the size being less than 3 mg.

Electronic Documents Required

Uploaded transcript in native language

One transcript in the applicant's native language for each degree and/or each institution attended.

Uploaded transcript translated into English

One transcript in the applicant's translated into English, for each degree and/or each institution attended.

Uploaded certificate/diploma of completion in native language

One print of proof of diploma the the applicant's native language for each degree and/or institution attended.

Uploaded certificate/diploma of completion translated into English

One print of proof of diploma translated into English for each degree and/or institution attended.

2 Electronic Letters of Reference for MESc/PhD

  • Two academic reference letters from either an Instructor or Supervisor. Please input valid university email addresses. Requests will be automatically sent to referees listed in the electronic application.

Proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Residency (if applicable)

  • One copy of proof of citizenship (i.e. passport, citizenship card, or birth certificate). For permanent residents, a copy of your permanent residency card. Regardless of PR status, we require all applicants with degrees received from a non-Canadian university to provide a valid English Proficiency score report.

Proof of English Proficiency

  • All international applicants much take an English proficiency test (academic version) and achieve the minimum score levels as stated on our website, as we do not grant waivers, regardless of the medium of instruction in his/her country.
    • Proof of English Proficiency from one of the following listed below. The test must be taken within the last two years, at the time request for admission is made.
        • The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum acceptable score is 86, with no individual score below 20 for the internet based version; 213 for the standard electronic version; or 550 for the paper and pencil version, although some programs require a higher minimum score. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
        • The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) of the British Council. The minimum acceptable score is 6 out of 9 in the individual bands, with an overall score of 6 or higher. The IELTS is offered in 6 test centres in the US and 3 in Canada.
        • CultureWorks. The requirement is successful completion of the High-Advanced level.
        • Fanshawe College’s ESL Program. The requirement is graduation from Level 10, English for Academic Purposes, with a minimum 80% in all components.
        • The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) of the University of Michigan. Students must have at least 80 on each of the sections and an overall score of at least 85. Arrangements to write MELAB may be made online.
        • The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL Assessment). The minimum acceptable score is 60. The CAEL Assessment is offered in several countries throughout the world as well as Canada.
        • Western English Language Center:Western English Language Centre (WELC) is Western's official language centre.  This program allows academically eligible students interested in pursuing a graduate degree at Western the opportunity to receive a conditional offer of admission to graduate studies without successful completion of an English language proficiency test. The condition is that the student must, in lieu of such a test, successfully complete Western English Language Centre's program in order to meet the conditions of their offer of admission. For more information, please visit or contact WELC at  An applicant must apply separately to both our program and WELC.

Study Permit (if applicable)

  • One copy of an applicant's study permit, if an applicant is already in possession of one.


  • CV/Resume, listing academic and employment background, publications, awards and other accomplishments.

Government Sponsorship/Scholarship

  • One official print regarding government sponsorship, verifying an applicant is funded by his/her own country.

Name Change (if applicable)

  • One print of official government documentation, verifying a name change, if supporting documentation is in a different name. Example of valid proof is a passport, marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.

Any other documentation requested by the MME program, for verification purposes. The MME program has every right to request any documentation deemed necessary.

Please include the following when mailing documentation to SGPS

  • Name (Last, First)
  • Dept Program
  • Western ID
  • Date of Application

Please submit official documentation to:

School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Room 1N07, International and Graduate Affairs Building
Western University
London, Ontario Canada N6A 3K7


If you are experiencing difficulty with the electronic application, please email

or contact the dedicated phone line 519-850-2341