PhD, PEng, FRSC, FCAE, LFIEEE, FASME, FIET, FEIC
My Research Group
Dr. Rajni Patel received the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Cambridge, England, in 1973 and currently holds the position of Distinguished University Professor and Tier-1 Canada Research Chair in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering with a cross appointment in the Department of Surgery in the Schulich School Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Western Ontario, Canada. Dr. Patel also serves as Director of Engineering for Canadian Surgical Technologies & Advanced Robotics (CSTAR), a research program of the London Health Sciences Centre and the Lawson Health Research Institute.
Dr. Patel has published more than 420 papers in refereed journals and conferences in the areas of robotics/mechatronics (including applications in surgery and therapy, rehabilitation and other nuerological movement disorders), haptics and teleoperation, systems and control, artificial neural networks and intelligent systems. He has co-authored a textbook and 7 research monographs on robotics and control, and co-edited an IEEE Press Reprint Book on Numerical Linear Algebra Techniques for Systems and Control. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and Canadian Academy of Engineering, Life Fellow of IEEE and Fellow of ASME (USA), IET (UK), and EIC (Canada).
Dr. Patel has served on the editorial boards of the IEEE Transactions on Robotics, the IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, the IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, and Automatica (the Journal of the International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC)), and is currently on the editorial board of the Jouarnal of Medical Robotics Research and a member of the Advisory Board of the International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery. He is a registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario, Canada.
Awards and Distinctions
- Tier-1 Canada Research Chair in Advanced Robotics and Control, Western University, July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2011; July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2018.
- Elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, June 2009.
- Awarded the IEEE Canada Outstanding Engineer Award, 2009.
- Elected Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, June 2008.
- Awarded the Hellmuth Prize for Achievement in Research by Western University, 2007.
- Appointed Distinguished University Professor by Western University for “sustained excellence in scholarship”, 2005.
- Elected Fellow of the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC), March 2005.
- Elected Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME, USA) “for outstanding contributions to robotics and controls”, January 2004.
- Elected Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET, UK), September 2003.
- Received the Faculty of Engineering Award for Excellence in Research, Western University, 2001 .
- Elected Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE, USA) “for contributions to the numerical analysis and design of control systems”, January 1992.
- Awarded an NRC Postdoctoral Research Associateship, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., USA; held at NASA Ames Research Center, California, 1975-1977.
- Awarded a Swedish Institute Scholarship, Svenska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden; held at the Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden, 1973-1974.
- Awarded a Turner and Newall Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, University of Cambridge, England, 1972-1975.
Current Supervision or Co-supervision of Highly Qualified Personnel
Previous Supervision or Co-supervision of Highly Qualified Personnel