|ECE 4456b – POWER SYSTEM PROTECTION|
| To allow a student to |
- an understanding of the basic principles of protective relays.
- have a practical understanding of protection schemes for electrical power
systems and equipment.
||3 lecture hours/week, half course |
- Philosophy of power system protection.
- Operating principle of relays.
- Relaying principles such as differential, distance, phase comparison and directional comparison protection.
- Protection of distribution circuits using instantaneous and inverse time over current relays.
- Protection of looped circuits using directional over current relays.
- Protection of transmission lines using distance, differential, and phase- and directional-comparison relays.
- Protection of transformers and busbars.
- Protection of generators and motors.
- Protection aspects of power system operation.
|S.H. Horowitz & A.G. Phadke, Power System Relaying, 2nd edition, Research Studies Press, 1999, ISBN 0 471 95887 5.
|J.L. Blackburn, Protective Relaying, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1987.
|Asea Brown Boveri, Walter Elmore (Editor), Protective Relaying – Theory and Applications”, Marcel and Dekker, 1994.