News and Events
NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) Program
The deadline this year for NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) applications is Friday, January 14, 2004.
Applicants must access the forms and information from the following website:

Please note - all eligible students should be contacting prospective faculty members and submitting applications to the Research & Integrated Engineering Office, located in SEB 2002, no later than 4:00 pm on Friday, January 14, 2004. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.

To be eligible to apply for an award, you must:
  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Be registered (at the time you apply) as a full-time student in Engineering
  • Have obtained, over the previous years of study, a cumulative average of at least 75% (a grade of "B") as defined by your university; students in 3rd or 4th year of concurrent degrees must have a cumulative average of at least 80% (a grade of A-); students applying to the Accelerated Master's program must have a cumulative average of at least 85% (a grade of A)

In addition...
  • If you already hold a Bachelor's degree and are studying towards a second Bachelor's degree in the natural sciences or engineering, you may still apply to this program

  • You may hold only one USRA per fiscal year (April 1 to March 31)

  • You may hold a maximum of three USRAs throughout your university career

  • To hold an award, you must:
  • Have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university study (or two academic terms) of your Bachelor's degree

  • Not have started a program of graduate studies

  • Be engaged on a full-time basis in research and development activities in the natural sciences or engineering during tenure of the award

You may hold an award in the term immediately following the completion of all requirements of your undergraduate program.

Who is not eligible?
You are not considered eligible for an undergraduate student research award if:
  • You are currently enrolled in an undergraduate professional degree program in the health sciences (e.g., M.D., D.D.S., B.Sc.N.)

  • You hold higher degrees in the natural sciences or engineering

For additional information please check out the web site at:

  Celebrating 50 Years of Engineering Excellence
Faculty of Engineering Home search engineering Phone Book University of Western Ontario Home Western Engineering Home

Last Updated: 03/01/05