Fellowships - Other Opportunities
Launched on July 6, 2010, the objectives of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program are to attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally, to develop their leadership potential and to position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow, positively contributing to Canada's economic, social and research-based growth through leadership in a research-intensive career. Canadian and international candidates are eligible to apply for a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship. For official information, regulations and procedures, visit the Banting website. At Western, the internal Banting selection process in managed by the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Services Office.Value and Duration: $70,000(taxable)/year for two years
Number of Awards: 70 fellowships awarded each year
Eligibility: Please refer to the eligibility guidelines on the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship website.
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply.
- Applicants for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree between within a specific window – approximately 4 years – see guidelines; and before the start of the award.
- Only in exceptionally rare circumstances will a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship be awarded to an applicant who is staying at the same institution where they completed their PhD, PhD- equivalent or health professional degree. In such cases, a solid justification – related for example to availability of highly unique equipment - must be provided. Current postdoctoral fellows already at the institution must also justify the decision to continue at the same location.
- Applicants must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position.
Application Details: Please refer to the application guide on the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship website.
- Applicants intending to take up the fellowship at Western should first contact their fellowship supervisor to request the support of their application.
- Applicants should consult Important Dates for Faculty Deadlines.
Important Dates (updated June 3, 2020):
|June 1 - July 15, 2020||Candidates and their proposed supervisors should email Mihaela Harmos, Postdoctoral Services Coordinator ( email@example.com) and arrange for a preliminary meeting with the SGPS internal team, to discuss eligibility and application criteria.|
|August 4, 2020||Candidates should submit draft applications including CV and Letter of Intent (LOI) sent to Kristen Edwards, Graduate Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
|Early to mid August||
One candidate (in exceptional circumstances, two) will be asked to go forward, and willl be given further timelines relevant to the full application. Because of the highly competitive nature of the Banting, the Faculty of Engineering Committee may elect not to send any applicant forward. There is no selection process at the University-level (SGPS). Once selected to be a candidate from the Faculty of Engineering, SGPS will work closely with the supervisor and candidate to put together the best application possible.
August 16, 2020
The Faculty will provide a (max one page) draft “ Letter of Endorsement”.
The August deadline is to ensure a first draft of everything may be reviewed by SGPS prior to the official submission deadline in September.
|October 1, 2020||
SGPS will continue to work with the Faculty endorsed applicants to successfully submit their applications in ResearchNet by the external deadline.
Banting Fellowship application deadline.
|Mid-February||Funding decision release.|
- MITACS Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship Program MITACS has issued a call for proposals to the MITACS Elevate postdoctoral fellowship program. MITACS Elevate is a pilot fellowship program for postdoctoral fellows (PDFs) at Ontario universities to develop collaborations with local industry.
- Value and Duration: $55,000/year with $10,000 for research support; two-year duration.
- Number of Awards: Varies each year
- Eligibility: Please refer to the eligibility guidelines on MITACS Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship Program website.
- Application Details: Please refer to the application guide on the MITACS website.
- Important dates: February 10, 2021 5pm (PT) deadline to submit a completed application package to be considered for Mitacs Elevate fellowship.
- Contact: Mihaela Harmos