Attention Undergraduate Students!

Deadline: January 26th, 2018

How to Apply for NSERC USRA at Western: Click Here

NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) enable undergraduate students to gain research experience under the supervision of a Western Engineering faculty member. The USRA award is meant to encourage the student to undertake graduate studies and pursue a research career in these fields. The award stipend provided by NSERC is $4,500 for 16 weeks of work. In addition, students receive a minimum 25% supplement provided by the supervisor. We encourage students to identify the faculty member they wish to work with and make the necessary arrangements.

The faculty member must be an Engineering Faculty member and hold a NSERC grant. We will be compiling a list of faculty members who are interested in working with a student. If you cannot identify a faculty member, please see Whitney Barrett or the department Graduate Chair at least one week before the deadline.

To be qualified for a USRA, a student must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • be registered (at the time he/she applies) as a full-time student in a bachelor’s degree program in the Natural Sciences or Engineering at an eligible university
  • have obtained, over previous years of study, a cumulative average of at least second class (a grade of “B” or “B-”, if applicable) as defined by your university
  • have not started a program of graduate studies in the Natural Sciences or Engineering, or currently be enrolled in a professional program (MD, DDS, etc.) or hold a higher degree in Natural Sciences or Engineering
  • the faculty member must hold a NSERC grant as a Principal or Co-Investigator (discovery, strategic, or research partnerships) either at the time of application or when the students holds the award
  • You may hold no more than one USRA per fiscal year (April 1 – March 31)
  • You may hold a maximum of three USRA’s throughout your university career

Note: If you are currently a student at Western, you do not need to request an official copy of your transcript from the Registrar’s Office. If you have taken courses at institutions other than Western University, please submit official transcripts from those institutions.

If you are a student at an institution other than Western, please submit an official copy of your transcript which includes grades from the Fall 2017 term.

Hand written applications will not be accepted. Applicants must use the online form available on the NSERC website: Click Here.

An online tutorial (approximately 8 minutes) is available on the NSERC website: click here

Recipients of these awards are expected to be selected by early March.