Summer Engineering Co-op Program (SECOP)
What is SECOP?
SECOP is a Summer Engineering Co-op Program designed to assist students in finding quality paid engineering work placements for the summer months. The duration of the co-op is four months - from May to August.
Why should you participate?
- Gain hands-on experience related to your academic program;
- Develop marketable skills future employers are looking for in new recruits;
- Clarify your career goals and objectives;
- Earn a salary to help offset the cost of tuition;
- Build a professional network with employers and engineers in your field - a SECOP position may provide you with an opportunity to pursue an Internship placement with the same employer. Many employers view co-op work terms as an opportunity to assess candidates for future full-time positions after graduation.
Who can participate?
- All full-time undergraduate engineering students who are returning to Western Engineering (full-time) for both the fall and winter semesters;
- Students who have a cumulative academic average of at least 65% and no scholastic offense.
What is the enrollment process?
- Co-op information sessions are available annually in the Fall Term;
- Online registration begins Sept. 12, 2016 on CareerCentral
What are the costs?
The SECOP fee in 2016 is:
- $100 Dollars for Direct Match Placements
- $300 Dollars for positions secured from a Summer Co-op posting on CareerCentral
What does an employer expect?
- Motivated and enthusiastic students;
- Clear, neat and organized resumes;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ethical and professional judgment;
- Responsible and accountable student employees.