English Language Proficiency
Update as of March 16, 2020:
In response to the closure of IELTS and TOEFL test centres in different parts of the world due to the COVID-19 situation, The Faculty of Engineering is now accepting Duolingo English Test as an alternative to IELTS and TOEFL for Graduate Admissions. This test will be accepted on a temporary basis only.
The minimum acceptable score for Admission to a Graduate Degree program in the Faculty of Engineering is 115 from the Duolingo English Test.
Western University and the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies receives scores from Duolingo directly. When completing the Duolingo English Test, please select “Western University-Graduate Studies” from the Institution list to ensure your results are made available to the Admissions team.
Applicants may only be exempt from the TOEFL, IELTS or test of English proficiency requirement if they have at least two full-time years of post-secondary education years in an academic degree program, in an English speaking institution which is located in a country whose primary language is English.
You must provide proof of your proficiency in English by successfully completing one of the following English Language Proficiency examinations:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum acceptable score is 86, with no individual score below 20 for the internet based version; 213 for the standard electronic version; or 550 for the paper and pencil version, although some programs require a higher minimum score. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS). The minimum acceptable score is 6 out of 9, with no minimum score below 6.0. The IELTS is offered in 6 test centres in the US and 3 in Canada.
- The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) of the University of Michigan. Students must have at least 80 on each of the sections and an overall score of at least 85. Arrangements to write MELAB may be made online.
- The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL Assessment). The minimum acceptable score is 60. The CAEL Assessment is offered in several countries throughout the world as well as Canada.
- CultureWorks. The requirement is successful completion of the High-Advanced level. Click here for information regarding a conditional offer of admission, pending CultureWorks completion.
- Fanshawe College’s ESL Program. The requirement is graduation from Level 10, English for Academic Purposes, with a minimum 80% in all components.
- Western English Language Centre: Western English Language Centre (WELC) is Western's official language centre. This program allows academically eligible students interested in pursuing a graduate degree at Western the opportunity to receive a conditional offer of admission to graduate studies without successful completion of an English language proficiency test. The condition is that the student must, in lieu of such a test, successfully complete Western English Language Centre's program in order to meet the conditions of their offer of admission. For more information, please contact WELC at email@example.com.
Applicants who are required to present evidence of proficiency in English must make their own arrangements to write the TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB or CAEL and to have the official results sent directly to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies by the testing agency. Those graduates from CultureWorks or Fanshawe College’s ESL Program must provide official proof of graduation.