Eric & Ruby Chung Graduate Award
|Ruby Chung (BSc '78) & Eric Chung, P.Eng. (BESc '77, MEng '78)
|This award was established in May 2014 by Mr. & Mrs. Chung.
|In February 2000, Mr. Chung and Mr. Vander Doelen established their own consultancy, CHUNG & VANDER DOELEN ENGINEERING LTD. in Kitchener.
Mr. Chung has been involved in a wide range of projects
- slope stability
- shoring systems
- retaining structures
- subdivision developments
- bridge and grade separation structures
- foundation design and construction
- several projects included design and construction of monitoring of deep excavation and groundwater control in Downtown Toronto and Harbour Front area
- residential, ligh commerical and heavy industrial buildings, schools, arenas, multi-storey buildings
On-site Sewage Disposal
- involvement in subsurface disposal of sewage has been active in the residential, institutional and commercial areas
- numerous septic systems for single family dwellings have been designed and field investigated by Mr. Chung in the Counties of Waterloo, Wellington, Halton, Peel, Perth, Oxford, Brant and Haldimond-Norfolk
- involved in conjunction with hydrogeologists to determine site suitability for the development of rural residential subdivisions considering the use of on-site designs for Carmelite Monastery, Maryhill Golf and Country Club, Good Samaritan Church, Heidelberg Meats, all located within the Region of Waterloo
- performed numerous septic system failure analysis report, as well as redeigns for the failed systems.
- included geotechnical invesigation of a variety of projects including rock cutting, embankment, grade separation, geotextile reinforced subgrade and embankments and pavement evaluation of roadways and parking lots
- recently been Project Engineer for two foundation investigations for MTO bridge structures
- conducted field investigations and assessed numerous sites on an environmental basis
- involvement has ranged from conducting and preparing various Phase I and Phase II reports for existing residential/commerical and industrial properties to implementing and monitoring of clean-up programs of contaminated sites
Project and Business Management
- been responsible for the management of the Kitchener-Waterloo Office of Dominion Soil and AGRA E&E since 1987
- supervising a staff of 16 to 19 Technical Personnel, he is also responsible for the office's geotechnical and inspection/testing laboratory, soils and asphalt testing laboratory
He has also provided inspection and quality assurance supervision on many projects. Some major projects have included CIL Ammonia II Plant, Sarnia, Ontario; GMC Plants Additions Oshawa, Ontario. Over 100 Farm Silos in Southern Ontario and Ottawa areas, slope stability studies along Grand River, Maitland River and Saugeen River, Waterloo Recreation Complex, Kressview Springs Condominiums in Cambridge, Guelph West End Recreation Centre and Guelph Storm Arena.