Summer Engineering Co-op Program (SECOP)
What is SECOP?
The Summer Engineering Co-op Program (SECOP) is designed to assist employers to find quality candidates for the summer months. The duration of the co-op is four months - from May to August.
Pro-active recruitment - You can assess the potential of future graduates.
- Employer of Choice - Your company will establish a presence and image our co-op students will share with their classmates when they return to school.
- Potential Re-hires - You can save recruitment costs by rehiring for future summer positions or Internship placements within your organization.
- Reduce Costs - Co-op placements may be created to complete short-term work assignments, special projects and research.
For maximum benefit of employers and co-op students, it is recommended that co-op work terms have the following components:
- Relevant, degree-related projects
- Supervision and mentorship
- Orientation and job training
- Health and safety training
- Outline learning objectives
- Provide student evaluations
To help offset the cost to employers when hiring co-op students, the Ontario government provides a refundable tax credit
for hiring students enrolled in a recognized post-secondary co-operative education program.
Minimum qualifications required for engineering students to enroll:
- Student must be enrolled full-time in an Engineering Program and returning in the fall;
- Must apply online and be approved into the program by the Career Services Coordinator;
- Must have a cumulative academic average of at least 65%;
- Must have a clean academic record.
Participating Engineering students are enrolled in one of the following nine programs: