PhD - Geotechnical Engineering, University of Wales, United Kingdom (1991)
BSc - Civil and Structural Engineering, University of Wales, United Kingdom (1988)
My Research Group
- Soft soil and clay engineering (including soil improvement)
- Offshore and energy geotechnics
- Buried structures and foundations
- Geotechnical phsycial modelling (1g & centrifuge)
- Static and dynamic laboratory testing of soil
- Constitutive (stress/strain) modelling of soils and structures
- Numerical modelling (finite element, finite difference, discrete element methods)
- Consultancy for the offshore, civil engineering and mining industries.
- Chair of Sustainable Geotechnics Committee, Canadian Geotechnical Society, 2015-current.
- Core Member - ISSMGE TC307 (Sustainability in Geotechnical Engineering), 2015-current.
- Core Member - ISSMGE TC38 (Soil-structure Interaction) 2005-2010.
- Technical Chair, ISSMGE PanAmerican Conference on Geotechnical Engineering, Toronto, 2011.
- International Panel Member (Canada) for the ICE Geotechnical Proceedings Journal, 2000-2010.
- Chair, Soil Mechanics & Foundations Division, Canadian Geotechnical Society, 2005-2009.
- EPSRC Review College Member, 2000-2005.
- SUT - Offshore Site Investigation and Geotechnics Committee Member
Current Research Funding
CFI Innovation Fund
Enhancing the resilience and sustainability of critical geotechnical infrastructure
T. Newson, et al.
NSERC Discovery Grant
Soil-structure interaction under environmentally induced cyclic loading